Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Low Carb Soul Bread

LC Soul Bread

easy













I think that as someone who follows a low carb way of eating we all miss certain things. Bread is one of them. I 've tried several recipes for a good substitute over the years only to be disappointed every time. So I wasn't anxious to spend the money on ingredients that would be wasted. I'd heard of soul bread for a while and it got good reviews so I finally broke down and decided to give it a try. 

I used the recipe from Low Carb Yum, which is a site I'd recommend. I have tried several of her recipes and was only disappointed with one of them. I did add an extra ingredient in my version. I added a packet of yeast simply for flavor. I also want to say that over at Low Carb Yum the recipe calls for olive oil and I used a lightly flavored kind but next time I will probably substitute coconut oil, simply because I like the flavor and I have a lot on hand. And lastly, the recipe talks about how not all protein isolates will work in this recipe and they give a few suggestions on brands to use.  I used Now unflavored Protein Isolate which worked just fine.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Ingredients:
  • 12 oz. cream cheese softened
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 drops sweetener (optional)
  • 1/4 c. heavy cream
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 2/3 c. unflavored whey protein isolate
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/3 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. xanthan gum
  • 2 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. cream of tartar
  • 1 pkg. dry yeast

Take two bowls and put the dry ingredients in one and mix together. Put the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe dish and soften for about a minute. Take out of microwave and mix with a stick mixer or hand mixer. Add the eggs, sweetener, yeast, heavy cream and olive oil and blend well. 

In the next step you'll put away the hand mixer and use a spoon because the mixer will be too much whipping.  Add the dry ingredients and stir it all in well. Pour the batter mixture into a greased or sprayed bread loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for appoximately 45 min. or until golden brown. Cool and store in plastic wrap.



I spread some peanut on the first slice and it was awesome. It also works well in the toaster and the next day I made grilled cheese sandwiches. So, as far as low carb bread goes ...... I give this a 5 star rating! I hope you'll give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment