Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Creamy Cauliflower Soup (low carb)


Creamy Cauliflower Soup 

Easy

 Lately, I've been wondering, what's happened to September? Because here in the midwest it seems like it's already October. I've come down with a bad cold and that makes me want comfort foods in the form of soups. I got the idea for this low carb "pretend potato soup" from a Dana Carpender recipe book that I read years a go. I forget the exact title of the book though.  




You'll need a large pan and I may have used one that was slightly too big for just a few servings for me. I might wish I had made more though if I find that my son likes it. However, he's a picky eater and doesn't like an onion. 


Here are the ingredients that I used.

  1. 1/2 c. chopped onion (I used Vidalia)
  2. 2 stalks celery, chopped
  3. 1/2 of a 2.5 oz. bag of real bacon bits
  4. 2 T. salted butter
  5. 1 c. heavy whipping cream
  6. 3 c. water 
  7. 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut up into bite size pieces
  8. salt and pepper to taste (I used Lawry's season salt)



First, melt the butter in the pan and then add the onion, celery, and bacon bits. Stir that around for a minute or two while on medium heat. Add the salt and pepper and stir it in. After a few minutes, I added the cream and the water and let it cook while I chopped up the cauliflower. I added the cauliflower and brought it to a boil on a medium high heat. I let it all cook together for about 7 minutes. At this point, I scooped about 2 cups or more out of the pot and put it in my Nutri-Bullet and let it liquefy. A blender will also work. Just be careful as the mixture is hot. If you don't want to do it while it's that hot you can probably put it aside in the fridge until it cools. But you'll want to add that back into the pot of soup on the stove. Then turn it down to a medium low and let all the lovely flavors simmer together. I'd say maybe 10 minutes or so. 


As for variety, I think some cheese sauce could be added to make it a cheesy cauliflower soup. I even thought that I may try adding half a cup of Ranch salad dressing to it sometime.  

This stuff is seriously good! I hope you give it a try.





No comments:

Post a Comment