Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Low Carb Lemon Bars


This recipe is from George Stella's "Real Food Real Easy" cook book. When I first received the cook book and was looking through is I knew I was going to make this recipe. All of George Stella's books are excellent and I'd suggest them for anyone doing a healthy low carb way of life.

This recipe is in two steps.

Cake:

2 Large eggs (beaten)
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/3 cup Splenda granulated
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine all the cake ingredients and mix well. Pour into an 8x8 inch pan greased with non-stick cooking spray. Bake on the center rack until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.

While the cake is baking make the Lemon Glaze Topping.

3 large eggs (beaten)
1 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.

Removed the browned cake from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake while it's still hot and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until firm. This is where I discovered that my stove doesn't sit level and I had to prop up one side with a spoon. Refrigerate for 2 hours to serve chilled but it didn't make it that long before I tried it. Cut into 12 bars and enjoy.
 

I sprinkled the bars with some powdered erthitol. I took these to work and passed them around. One guy even had two of them! Everyone really liked them.

calories 90
fat 7 grams
protein 5 grams
fiber 1 gram
net carbs 2 grams

This basic cake recipe can be used as a base for other desserts. You can try adding 1/2 cup of walnuts to the cake and topping it with a cinnamon glaze by skipping the lemon ingredients and replacing with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. I might do that next because it's sounds like it would be delicious with morning coffee.

2 comments: