Monday, March 14, 2011

Bacon Grease and Other Gadgets

Well, this is a handy little gadget that my seventy-six year old father bought from a "mail order catalog". Seems like he buys a lot of stuff from those places and I guess that's why they send him a catalog just about everyday.

This is a gadget that you can use to cook bacon in the microwave. Of all the stuff he's ordered I have to say that I use this one the most. I find it's nice to just put in the microwave and forget about it while I cook other stuff on the stove. I usually put it on five minutes at 80% power and the bacon comes out nice and crispy. And I like how the bacon grease drips down into a well with a pouring spout. Too many times though I have thrown that nice, tasty bacon grease out in the garbage.

I've decided that throwing it out is such a waste when I could save it and use it for flavoring other foods, especially green beans. I remember when I was very young that my mother and grandmother use to have a grease keeper on their stoves. Of course, back then we didn't have a fat phobia with saturated fat being vilified in the media. Funny thing is that we've had that "fat is evil" mentality for years now and the nation keeps getting fatter!

I did a search and found this handy-dandy container that I'm going to order from Amazon.com Fryer's Friend Grease Keeper  Grandma and Mom would be so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment